of Falconara Marittima
Falconara Marittima history is closely bound to the one of its four
Castles. Each of them has its own origin and different stories. The building
of the castles has meant much for Falconara Marittima. It became in fact an
important trade centre and so grew into a city.
The castle of Falconara Alta is perched on a hill and has now become the
Town Hall. The noble Cortesi family, descendant of a Germanic leader arrived
in Italy after Belisario (VI century) wanted it to be built.
The castle boasts a beautiful view on the sea and on the Apennine
mountains. It is framed by a beautiful village rich in tradition and
Rocca Barcaglione ruins are located on the most elevated area of the
Falconara territory. It is not far from the “Parco Zoo Paese dei Bimbi”.
The fortress dates back to XI century and covered more than 2,500sqm in
origin. It was then probably destroyed by the Ancona city in 1373.
The Gulf of Ancona opens underneath and the fields in full bloom are
unquestionably beautiful, in spring time.
Rocca Priora (once known as Rocca di Fiumesino) raises on the left bank
of the Esino river, not far from the sea. Its origins are attributed to the
birth of Federico II di Svevia (26th December 1194) by the
It is located where the River meets the sea. Its position was strategic
for the control of the communication network. The inferior part of the
building still preserves the ancient medieval structures. Such elements are
the towers and the portal that much resembles the one of the Ancona
The superior part was instead renovated in the eighteenth century by
Francesco Trionfi. The yard is partly occupied by a chapel that seems to be
a work of Vanvitelli, or of his pupil Andrea Vici. Gioacchino Murat was
guest in the place on the night of the 29th April 1815.
Francesco Ferretti, descendant to a Germanic soldier, fortified the watch
tower (1348-1386). This was the first stage to which the building of the
Castle followed. It was quickly built. The structure much resembles the
“Estense” castles. Four corner towers enclose the building. The entrance
was opened on a fifth tower.
© 2006 Liberation Ventures Ltd.