A long avenue lined by live
oaks lead to the entrance of this elegant period dwelling built in
the second half of the Eighteenth century. It is named after its
former owners, Barucchello
that donated it to Porto Sant’Elpidio town Hall in 1980.
The building is composed of
two square bodies: the South one was habited, the ground floor of
the North one was occupied by a small chapel, stables and the
upper floor was a wheat storage. A
gallery sustained by five column unites the two bodies. Next to
the building there is the ‘orangery’ and the house of the
Digging carried out between
1917 and 1919 brought to the discovery of three elliptical huts
(25 metres long) dating back to the iron age.
Local historians assume that there was a natural port before the
III-II century b.C.
The ancient name of the place
is Villa Fonteserpe. The
area is in fact rich in underground water springs. There are in
fact several pools in the Park, a
beautiful fountain in the garden and also a font in stone.
In the park there is also a tower used for hunting. It includes also a Garden
and Woods that create a naturalistic background that is much
appreciated by visitors and botanists.
The park is characterized by
Mediterrean types of plants such as Laurel (Lurus nobilis), Plan tree (Platanus
hybrida), Cypress (Cupressus
semprevirens), Linden tree (Tilia
cordata) and Tassus (Taxus
Laccata) and also exotic ones planted by the former owners. There are
in particular some species of Palm, such as the Canary Palm (Phoenix
canariensis) and Miniature Palm (Chaemerops
humilis), and also less common Washingtonia (Washingtonia
filifera) and Coco Palm (Cocos
The Sphinx staircase leads to
the Wood where old Live trees, Oak trees (Quercus
pubescens), Spruce pines (Picea
eccelsa) and Halep pines (Pinus halepensis) dominate.
The beautiful park, the
fountain and numberless pools make of Villa
Barucchello a beautiful frame for plays, jazz music
concerts and art shows. It is also a renown congress site thanks
to the congress hall that can sit 99. It is provided with pc
stations and video.