Cartoteca Storica delle Marche
An ancient collection of
maps in a special place
Cartoteca Storica delle Marche, is an association of scientists, scholars
They are keen on the analysis and preservation of historical documents and
maps of Le Marche county.
The collection is on permanent display in the convent of Santa Lucia In
Serra San Quirico. It is meant to make people acquainted with the historic
and cartographic tradition of the county.
It is a geographic paraphrase tracing back the origins and reaching as far
as the accession of Le Marche to the Unitary Italian Country in 1860 passing
through the modern configuration acquired around XV century.
The association target is propelling studies on the history of
cartography, on the evolution of the territory and of the landscape, on the
history of the geographic exploration.
Serra San Quirico city council is a member of the association itself. It
also handles and increases the collection.
he association organizes shows and publications and owns the original
documents kept in the display rooms.
La Cartoteca is organized in three display rooms. The documents are on
display following two main criteria: their theme and chronological order:
- the first cartographic representation of Le Marche Region;
- the evolution of the
cartographic representation, Napoleonic period.
- ”the deadpan compass of the”, modern cartography.
One of the most precious
documents is the representation of the earth made by the great Venetian
cartographer Vincenzo Coronelli (1658-1718).
di Serra San Quirico
© 2006 Liberation Ventures Ltd.