Paradise Possible’s Itineraries
The Suitcase of Dreams
Traditional crafts in Central Le Marche
Le Marche has a wealth of culture and customs that are at risk of remaining undiscovered not only to the traveller but also to the Marchigians themselves. Those who venture within the walls of Le Marche’s numerous urban enclaves will find the artisans who are keeping their ancient tradition very much alive.
By end of the 19th Century this zone was home to dozens of shoemakers’ workshops which constituted its principal economic resource, particularly in Montegranaro. As the years went by the workshops turned one by one into the shoe and boot manufacturers that would lead Made in Italy to become a world-renowned badge of quality.
For shoe-lovers we suggest a journey through the history of Le Marche’s shoemaking tradition at the Museo della Calzatura di Sant’Elpidio, where you’ll find celebrities’ shoes on show, as well as an accurately reproduced 1940s shoemakers’ workshop.
Wicker and straw-weaving are crafts that underwent a similar evolution, used for the production of fans, doormats, cases, and most importantly, hats. Montappone is the heart of this particular artisanal production, alongside the smaller hubs of Falerone, Monte Vidon Corrado and Massa Fermana.
You can also visit the Museo del Cappello (the Museum of Hats) at Montappone, where you’ll see a reproduction of every phase of the straw-hat making process, ending at the final pressing which forms the shape of the hat. Another option would be to take a walk around the city, particularly in the last week of July when the city hosts a historical commemoration dedicated to the hat-making tradition.
In Fermo, the ancient “fornaciari” (kilnmen) and smiths who specialised in bell-making have evolved into today’s blacksmiths, producing gates, railings and beds. In Porto San Giorgio, Montegiorgio and Porto Sant’Elpidio the various crafts of marble masonry, carpentry and metalwork are still alive today, passed down from generation to generation.
How to get there
If you’re coming from the north or south take the A14 and exit at the Civitanova Marche tollgate. Take the SS77 heading towards Tolentino. Exit at Montegranaro and follow directions.
Also, you can exit the A14 at the Porto Sant'Elpidio tollgate and follow the directions towards Sant'Elpidio a Mare. Here you can download the full itinerary.
The Delle Marche Airport is around 120 km from this area, 1h 30 min by car. We advise you to hire a car, or to book a car-hire service with a driver by writing to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
By ferry boat
The port of Ancona is around 100 km from this area. We advise you to hire a car, or to book a car-hire service with a driver by writing to us at email@example.com
The stations Civitanova, Porto San giorgio, Fermo are served by ES (eurostar trains), smaller towns are generally served by the regional train service. For more information and timetables www.trenitalia.it.
Where to stay
Fermo / Villa Vinci
Right in the heart of Fermo’s historic centre, Villa Vinci faces onto the western side of the spianata del Grifalco, a green expanse at the highest point of Monte Sàbulo, the hill upon which the town is perched. It’s an example of a phenomenon quite rare to Le Marche: an urban villa, unattached to any agricultural land or the surrounding territory.
Ponzano di Fermo / Agriturismo Il Melograno
Agriturismo Il Melograno is found nestled amidst rolling hills, in the heart Ponzano di Fermo’s countryside. Daniel and Candida will be there to welcome you in the large and comfortable farm house with its own swimming pool, wood, orchard and hearty breakfasts for a perfect start to the day.
All the Benefits of Booking through Paradise Possible
• 10% discount on all accommodations recommended by Paradise Possible
• possibility of visiting historical assets that are not usually available and not opened to the public
• assistance of experienced guides in art history with interpreter
• availability of the municipalities where the property is located
• availability of tourist reception at the farm contracted
• quality of courses tailor-made by experts for every itinerary
• assistance of experienced guides to adventure sports on the nature parks
• flexibility to take advantage of the itinerary with the same services for arrangement in group or in pairs.
Costs and methods of Payment :
• Each itinerary will be priced individually;
• For every booking of the itinerary it will be required a pay contribution for the number of people who will benefit of the Itinerary (*) to Paradise Possible and the 30% deposit for booking of accommodation at the selected facility.
• The methods of payment will be indicated by Paradise Possible, while the facility itself will show its own.
For more details on Marche Itineraries or to book, contact us us
now at firstname.lastname@example.org !